Gone are the worn corrugated metal buildings of the past. A new generation of pre-engineered steel buildings is coming into use in an ever-growing range of green building projects. Steel buildings are leading the green building revolution, meeting green building design goals with innovative building design, engineering and use of materials.
Green building design, also known as “sustainable building” will come as we recognize that global resources are limited and that climate change is inevitable – unless we take positive action now.
Green buildings recognize the environmental impacts of buildings, their construction, life cycle and final demolition, and work to reduce these impacts through
* Energy efficiency
* Environmentally friendly building materials
* Innovative building design
* Healthy indoor environment
Eco-Friendly Pre-engineered Steel Building
Pre-engineered steel buildings also known as prefabricated buildings or prefabricated metal buildings are innovative building solutions featuring solid steel I-beam building construction.
* Pre-engineered buildings are designed and engineered by trained and certified structural metal building engineers to meet all local building codes for snow and wind loads and seismic conditions.
* Building components are engineered and manufactured to exact specifications using the highest commercial grade steel available.
* Modern steel mills use energy-efficient methods in steel production that help reduce greenhouse gas emissions substantially.
* When a steel building is demolished to make way for new construction, metal building materials do not end up in landfills such as asphalt shingles, concrete, bricks and wood. Steel is recycled instead.
* Steel can be recycled repeatedly without losing steel quality.
* More steel is recycled than all other recycled materials combined.
Cool Upholstery Get Cool Energy Credits
“Cool” coatings are special silicone polyester paints with superior reflective qualities. A “cool” coating applied to a metal building acts as a thermal barrier to keep the interior of a metal building cool in the summer. This means that buildings covered with a “cold” coating use less energy, making steel buildings more energy efficient. The use of “cool” coatings saves money and the environment through reduced energy costs over the life of the building and may even qualify for a Federal tax credit.
Urban Hot Island: Cold Roof Brings Relief
Smart builders take advantage of the fact that metal roofs reflect light and heat to keep buildings cooler in hot weather. Plus, metal building roofs don’t store heat and radiate it back at night like other roof types. This saves energy in cooling costs and helps save the environment by reducing the urban “heat island” effect. An “urban heat island” occurs when urban concrete and asphalt construction absorbs heat during the day then radiates it back at night so temperatures don’t drop at night as they normally would, and are strong contributors to climate change and global warming.
In places like California, Texas, and Florida, commercial building construction takes advantage of the “cool” properties of metal roofing for commercial buildings such as warehouses, industrial plants, aircraft hangars, storage buildings, retail outlet stores, car dealerships, malls and more.
Metal roofs also serve to save energy and the environment in colder climates. The painted metal roof not only reflects heat in summer, but also retains heat inside the building on cool days, saving heating costs and keeping the indoor environment healthy and comfortable in summer and winter. New metal building roofs qualify for a Federal tax credit.
Steel Buildings: Cost Saving, Energy Saving and Environmental Friendly
* No need to cut down precious forest.
* Manufactured with a high proportion of recycled content.
* Employs sustainable and upright building design and construction in less time than conventional building construction.
* Steel and fire and rust resistant construction is virtually maintenance free.
* By its nature, steel buildings are durable, cost-effective, energy-saving and Green.